Sunday, August 12, 2012

Down to the Teens!


Tuesday August 7th, 2012
Budge, Walker, Long, Graasland, Dobson, Hansen, Black, Buhler,Eddy, Champenous, Stankovsky

Hansen, Naktsuka, Latu, Dobson Shimais

New Shimais: Buhler, Walker, Eddy

Yay! I can hardly believe it! 20 days from this very moment, I will be flying to JAPAN!!! I can hardly contain my excitement!! My Japanese is not nearly where it should be in order for me to communicate effectively, but I can pray, bear my testimony, tell you who God, Jesus Christ, and Joseph Smith is, and find scriptures. I think if I can start with that. I'll be just fine.

To start off....last Tuesday for devotional we had Elder Rex D. Pinegar come and speak to us. He is an emeritus 70. He talked about a lot of things that we should do in order to become successful missionaries. One thing that is always good to remember, that he talked about, was how success is almost never immediate. It is by and by. Line upon line.  Grace by grace. These are all phrases used to describe how we learn and succeed. Sometimes it can be so hard. You want to immediately have success. I want to immediately speak Japanese. But that is not the Lord's plan. Not even the Savior received a fullness of the Glory of His Father all at once. It was line upon line. Grace by grace. I think I'll be ok...

He also talked about how each mission is unique because each of us are unique. We shouldn't compare to others, which is something I've been working on lately. The Lord knows me. He knows each and everyone one of us. He has known us for much longer than we can remember. He knows what I am capable of. He knows what my experiences are. That is why I've been called to Japan. He is putting me exactly where I need to be. That is such a comfort.

On Sunday for our fireside we had one of the members of the MTC presidency and his wife speak to us. They were so cute at teaching together. They talked about how to have power when serving. They gave 4 simple steps. 1-be obedient. 2- have courage. 3-Serve with diligence. And 4-Be selfless. They expounded on all of those topics. They also talked about how the Savior, Jesus Christ didn't shrink away when He was doing the hardest thing known to man. He persisted. I should do.

After that I went and saw a recorded talk that was given at the MTC a few years ago. Basically it made me whole week. It was my favorite speaker, Elder Gerald Lund. (Not like I'm biased or anything) And He talked about teaching with the Spirit.  I just love him!  It did make me a little homesick...I wish I could be there with all of you for Rachel's wedding this week. But, I know this is where I am supposed to be!

The weeks are going by so much faster!  It seems like 2 days ago that I was typing another email. I'm excited that the time has gone my faster.  I am loving our Kohai Senkyoshi (New missionaries).  Especially the Shimai. Budge Shimai left for an advanced group. So the other 3 Shimai are now in a threesome. They are handling it so well and are so cute about it!  I just love them. The week was settling into its normal routine. Meals, study, class, meals, study, class. It was like this until...yesterday!

We had the Japanese missionaries come!! It was so fun yet completely terrifying at the same time. Don't get me wrong. I am SO excited they are here. But as coordinating sister, I have to go to all of the meetings, take care of their needs, and give them a tour of campus. ALL in Japanese! None of them speak English. Except for one. But she doesn't get here ‘til tomorrow.

Communicating between my very limited Japanese and their occasional English word was very intimidating!   I can explain about the first lessons, and various other phrases. But when I'm supposed to tell them how to make a bed, how to get on the top bunk, when to shower, their new schedule, all of these things-I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO SAY ANY OF IT!!! (Side note: Their poor little faces when they realized how far off the ground their bed was. They are used to sleeping on futons on the ground. Not 6 feet in the air! They were SO scared!!)

After my companions and I took the Nihonjin (Japanese)  back to their rooms, we taught a lesson to one of our investigators. It was really cool and the Spirit was there. Even if we are just practice teaching, He comes in and testifies of the truthfulness of what we are saying. It's so cool! But as we were sitting in the lesson, I was still feeling pretty defeated about my Japanese skills. I was frustrated that I was unable to communicate every day items with the Nihonjin.

After I bore my testimony in our lesson, the Spirit filled me. It wrapped around my heart and made me feel so warm. It felt like it was the warmest, fuzziest blanket wrapped around me. He so ever quietly whispered, "It's ok that you don't know Japanese. I'm going to give it to you. I will help you. Just be patient." It was one of the most beautiful spiritual confirmations I've ever had. It made me realize that I really do just need to trust in the power of my God. He is all powerful. I think He can help a missionary learn Japanese.

Well I love you all so much! Your prayers are making a difference. I can feel them. Thank you!

 ドブソン しまい
Me and my friend, Jasmin Smith who is going to Mandarin Speaking, Manchester England

Me and My Friend, Renee Adams who is going to Spanish Speaking California

No comments:

Post a Comment