Thursday, July 12, 2012

On my 5th Week!

Well folks I'm already on my 5th week! I can't believe it! And I can't believe that I still have 7 more to go....but that's alright! I'm working on being more positive.
There are a few perks about being in the MTC for so long. One of them is the chance to hear many inspiring speakers at devotionals, firesides, etc. The one from a week ago was fun! His name was brother Kikuchi. He was a general authority for 36 years and was recently released. He is a ntive to Japan and it was fun to hear him speak. He  talked about in order to be a happy missionary we need to be perfectly obedient. He suggested to go beyond being obedient to show the Lord how much you value His time. He gave an example of getting up at 6:29 instead of 6:30. (That one isn't a problem for my companion and I. We usually get up long before that.) But it was a good perspective to add.
One of my favorite things he said was bring a souvenir home from your mission. At first I was confused because that is not what usually comes out of the mouth of someone speaking to missionaries. But then he explained. He said to bring home the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  Bring home your ability to use it.  I just loved that!
I'm only now catching a glimpse of how powerful and encompasing it really is. I hope to be able to understnad it a little bit more by the time I get home.
For Wednesday, the 4th of July we had a special program/fireside. It was really fun! There were speakers, movies, musical numbers, narrators and lots of other stuff. We also got to stay up and watch the fireworks of the stadium of fire from the parking lot of the MTC. You couldn't see the fireworks overally well, but I did remember that the Beach Boys were singing.
Dressed for the 4th of July
We could barely hear their melodic tones on a soft wave of harmonies, gently brushing through the warm summer air. I was reminded of all the beach boys CDs we used to listen to on family vacations. (Before there were DVDs).   For a second I allowed myself to miss some of the music from before my mission. But then I quickly snapped out of it and realized how truly lucky I am to be here.
"How Patriotic Can You Get?"
Then on Thursday we had a little adventure. We had to move floors from the 2nd floor to the 4th floor in my building. We were fine to move.  It was a little incovenient, but we figured it would be a good change of scenery. 
Well...we were half way right. It WAS a change of scenery.  But it was definitely NOT for the better. Up until a few hours before we moved in it had been inhabited by Elders.  
We opened the door, suitcases in hand and there was an instant wall of B. O. that we ran in to. It was pretty bad. Then, we looked around the room and realized there was crumbs and garabage covering the whole floor. Then, as we looked even closer we noticed encrusted boogers serving as decorations over all of the walls! There were dubious yellow stains on both the clouded carpet and the lumpy mattresses. You would think 19 year old boys would be toilet trained....
We still don't walk barefoot on the carpet. We can't even imagine what has been there.
On to happier things!
Every day we teach a lesson to a "progressing investigator" which is really just one of our teachers. I'm understanding more and more of what they are saying, but I'm still pretty limited to the phrases I have in my books. It's fun teaching the lessons, and even though they are our teachers pretending to be someone else, when we bare our simple testimonies, the Spirit is present.  I'm excited to finally get to Japan!
Contents of Narnia Holes
On Friday, in our classroom, we discovered some "narnia holes."  Narnia holes are little surprises left by previous misionaries. Ours were found in a heating vent and empy electrical circut. In them was a Dr. Pepper that had long expired, unchewable high chews, and a super bouncy ball. As a district we're trying to decide what to leave for the next set of misionaries, if they're intelligent enough to look. It's kind of like a geo cache.
Thanks for the package of delicious cherries! There was so many that I couldn't eat all of them so I took them to class. I shared with the Nihonjin (Japanese missionaries) and now they all affectionately call me the "American Cherry Girl". :)
On Sunday an interesting turn of events occured.  We got new district and zone leaders.  But in the MTC we also have a few leadership positions for the Sisters. One is a music coordiantor and her companion is the cordinating sister. The music coordinator plans all the music for all the branch meetings. (Obviously) The Coordinating Sister acts as sort of an "older sister" to the other sisters in her zone.
My companion and I both got callings this week. I am...the new coordinating sister.
Now on top of my regular missionary duties, I go to the rooms of all the sisters each night. Check on how they are doing. Report issues to the Branch President. And welcome incoming missionaries for our zone. Oh...and I get to go to lots of meetings. (I don't know why people seek out leadership positions. All it is, is going to meetings.) 
I am really humbled/overwhelmed/nervous about this new position. I don't feel qualified, especially in my Japanese skill (Because I have to talk to all of the Nihonjin or Japanese Sisters). But I guess it serves me right. I have been praying to find opportunities to serve those around me, which can be kind of difficult in the MTC, and the Lord answered my prayers! He does have a funny sense of humor. Be careful what you wish for I guess....But truly, I am so excited. Just really nervous! :)
Sunday night we had an awesome fireside by Richard Heaton. He works here at the MTC as the Administration director. He analyzes missionaries' language acquisition and other stuff. He recently returned from checking out the missionaries in Japan. He had a lot of awesome things to share.
He said something that really hit me. He said, "Do we see baptism as OUR success, or as another person's success in coming unto Christ?"
I think that is a powerful message that every missionary should consider.
Our District with Andrus Sensei before he left
Well, I love you all! Thanks for  the support you all give me!
ドブソン  しまい




No comments:

Post a Comment